Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Quilt Show!

Wow!  I made it to the NQA show last Thursday in Columbus, Ohio with my sister-in-law Betty, my niece  Heather,  (Betty's Daughter) and  my grand niece Jorjia, (Heather's Daughter).  It was a fun day to be with family and quilts!  Also saw and visited with some guild friends!  The Show as very good this year. 



The quilts that made the winner's circle were exceptional.  Sharon Schamber's  'Once Upon a Time' and  Mary S. Buvia's quilt 'Once Upon a Time' were out standing.  There was a good mix of traditional quilts and art quilts,  Wall hangings and bed quilts.  Some of the quilts made political statements.  The Power Suits Quilt exhibit was displayed.  Over 100 quilters took material from mens suits and made a small quilt on the theme of "Power Suits".  These were very thought provoking and many different techiques were used in the creating the quilts.

Sue Gruber from my guild had 2 quilts entered in the show.  In this quilt, Sue hand dyed all the fabric  (see picture below) which is remarkable because she is color blind.  She had help from her hubby picking out thread to match each color for the quilting.   This picture makes the colors look primary but they were a richer color in person.  I have some scrap triangles from the edges to "play" with!



 I was looking for quilting motifs and ideas for quilting.  Here are some of the ideas I though were pretty ingenious.  Densely quilting a triangle in a plain border and then not quilting the next triangle.  It made it look pieced that way!  (Oh no,  I didn't take a picture of that!!)




 This Zig-Zag quilting in a leaf or melon shape was nice.














This heart motif was Beautiful and so detailed with crosshatching, pearls and a smaller heart in the middle.







These are some of the best Daffodils I have seen appliqued or pieced.  The ruching for the top of the trumpet just made them look real.












  I also liked how the quilter did the lily of the valleys, but I am not sure how they were done.  (Sorry for the poor picture)










Here is a picture of the entire quilt.  It was a spring garden for sure!




 I saw some really nice edge finishes. This one was hearts appliqued and then on the under side, flat cord made from fabric knotted and tacked to the heart points.

 This edging was very striking.  It consisted of  semi-circles with little prairie points  between.  There was no binding like most quilts so the edge shone and framed the quilt.  Sorry I didn't get a picture of the entire quilt. ;-(


I finished the show out with some shopping.  (Boring stuff like needles & thread.) But I did go a little, well maybe very crazy.  On an impulse,  I bought a new sewing machine.  It is the Janome Horizon machine 7700.  I am going to love it,  I loved my 6500 Janome but this one had some great new features that will make free motion quilting easier for sure.  I picked the machine up at The Red Rooster Quilt Shoppe in Dublin Ohio Saturday  morning.  I know I am kinda crazy to buy a machine in Dublin and live in BG, but I couldn't help myself. :-)


Hope many of you are able to get to a quilt show this summer.  They are so full of inspiration!

Joyfully,

Marsha


No comments:

Post a Comment